Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A/C Saga

I have a feeling this won't be the last you hear about the A/C drama.

The maintenance man came back today, shop vac in hand. My A/C is still leaking downstairs after they replaced the drain pan. Shocking!

It looks like they are going to have to replace the entire unit. It better be more efficient.

My electric bill, as of today, is $280.49. For a 2 bedroom apartment. My mother's 2 story, 4 bedroom house costs her about that. I leave the A/C at 80 when I'm not home, 75ish when I am (and it takes hours to reach that), for the most part I remember to turn my lights out when I leave the house, and half my bulbs are CFLs. I do leave my ceiling fans running almost non stop to help keep it cool.

Which brings me to the new apartment. Not only will it be on the first floor, and have all sorts of nice amenities and be in a nice complex, the apartment manager- who has the same floorplan- says her electric bill runs her $60-70 in the summer. I do plan on checking on my specific apartment with the electric company, though. Overall I won't be saving any money, since the rent is a bit higher, but I will be saving time (it's 10 min closer since I won't have to hit a certain traffic area) and headache (no stairs), so the move should be worth it for me. Is it September yet?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I hear your pain. Our small 1600sq ft one story house got us an over $400 electric bill last month. Dang Houston summers!!! We've already switched electric providers. Too bad we can't move.